Drought does Deacs in

Greensboro, NC - Wake Forest's (13-18, 6-12 ACC) well ran dry, as the Demon Deacons went without a field goal from the 10:02 mark in the second half down to 1:26 left in regulation on its way to a 75-62 loss to Maryland (21-11, 8-10 ACC) in the first round of the ACC Tournament.
"They were up and into us," Wake Forest head coach Jeff Bzdelik said. "We knew they would be. I thought we were just a little careless and just not real sharp offensively; nothing special. Some of those turnovers were self-inflicted, just being careless with the ball, loose with ball, not running through passes."
"I thought we tried to force a little bit too much on the break, we got stops defensively and then we turned it over unnecessarily on the break, not making good decisions, trying to just force the action too much, instead of just pulling it out and playing off two feet and making short passes, and we wasted some valuable possessions there."
Spurred by senior guard C.J. Harris, who scored 13 of his team-leading 19-points in the first, the Deacs claimed 35-30 halftime advantage after leading by as many as seven.
The Demon Deacons forced Maryland into 10 turnovers before the break, committing just five themselves in the first half. Wake was almost equal with the Terrapins in the rebounding category, trailing Maryland 15-14 on the boards.
Wake Forest was unable to continue the positive trends in the second half it needed, as the Terps cut down on their mistakes and forced the Deacs nine turnovers following the intermission that turned into seven points for Maryland.
"I think it was a combination," Maryland head coach Mark Turgeon said. "I think we were pretty good and they had a lot of shots go in and out. If you're a Wake Forest fan you saw a lot of them bounce out, limiting them to one shot. I said guys we got to get them to shoot jump shots."
"They got some open shots and they didn't fall, but we were locked in, scouting report was pretty good in the second half. Our guys were locked in, did a much better job on Harris."
Pe'shon Howard, who scored 10 points, was key to Maryland's defensive efforts to slow Harris down in the second half, while Dez Wells led the way offensively. Wells scored 14 of his game-high 21 points in the second half.
Maryland outscored Wake 21-6 during the Demon Deacons 8:36 drought without a field goal, as all of the Black and Gold's points came from the free-throw line during that pivotal juncture.